Ok, yeah, part of it is this mug of Star(la)bucks coffee… but mostly it’s because I gave myself an awesome gift this morning.
I signed up to take a class that I’ve been eyeing for months: Organization and Relationship Systems Coaching (ORSC™) Fundamentals, through CRR Global (Center for Right Relationship). I’m sure you’re all clamoring to take the same course (*cough cough*), so here’s the course description link: http://centerforrightrelationship.com/courseregistration/courses/info/5
Although something that includes phrases like coaching relationship systems, relationship intelligence, and intake and alignment coaching might make you want to run screaming for the hills, it makes me … giddy.
Well … have you ever been so intrigued by something that it becomes sort of your holy grail? That thing that starts as a soul whisper, then a quiet voice that becomes a loud knocking on your destiny door?
In other words, something you just really want to experience. (my apologies… when I get really excited, flowery esoteric words scramble out in front of their more standard counterparts).
That’s what this course is for me. Something I can’t wait to dive into, explore, savor, devour, learn, discover.
But the course itself isn’t the point here (darn!). The point is all about giving yourself meaningful gifts. Gifts that speak to some sort of sweet longing within you, or that applaud a joy that’s already there. Gifts of experience, or beauty, or learning, or space (see last week’s blog).
The impact of giving ourself a meaningful gift goes well beyond what we might expect. Take my course registration gift, for example. In exploring the “giddy” around that action, I realized:
- I’ve been longing for “retreat” time this year. OMG, this 2-day course will be my retreat time! Staying at the course hotel in DC even though I could drive home overnight.
- I didn’t register for this months ago because I didn’t see how I could justify paying for something that felt like such a huge treat. Um, lookie there — it’s a business expense now — paid for completely by my OutWrite Living earnings.
- Wait, did I just say OutWrite Living earnings? OMG (again!), I’m a paid writer. Dream. Come. True.
- And duh, taking this class DOES fit directly into my vocational path – contacts in that world of deep change that I want to be in with my writing work.
I’m seeing now that by giving myself this meaningful gift, I’ve:
- given myself more (unexpected) reasons to celebrate
- gotten more (unexpected) insight into what I *have* accomplished,
- realized that by allowing self-gifts around our deepest longings, we discover they are actually the next step in actualizing our dreams.
And I thought I was just signing up for a course.
Go on, give yourself that gift you’ve been holding out on. It just might change your life.